Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:43:25 -0500
From:      Ryugen@palaver.org (Ryugen C. Fisher)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   strange security message

My "security check output" recently began to send me the following:

chih.bfm.org login failures:
grep: /var/log/messages: No such file or directory

chih.bfm.org refused connections:
grep: /var/log/messages: No such file or directory

I have looked at the syslog.conf file and it seems "normal" ... I have also
not made any changes that would account for this.   A look at the /var/log
directory shows that there is NOT a /var/log/messages file, but I don't
know why it does not exist...

I suspect that I have a 'stowaway' but can't be certain at this
point...  if I have an intruder, he (or she) knows more about FreeBSD than
I do.

I am running 3.5-stable

help, please

TIA

P.S. please cc: reply to me directly as I am no longer on the maillist