Date:      Tue, 06 May 2008 21:18:23 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port Submission Etiquette

--On May 6, 2008 9:09:06 PM -0400 Sahil Tandon <sahil@tandon.net> wrote:

> I would like to submit a new port which "RUN_DEPENDS" another port; the
> latter did not exist in the tree, so I submitted it (ports/123382) on
> May 4.   I fully appreciate the committers' various responsibilities and
> time  constraints, so this is not a 'hey, what's taking you so long'
> query.  Since  this was my first submission, I am just trying to get a
> sense of proper  etiquette.  Is it bad form to email the committer who
> took responsibility of  the PR asking whether I've made a glaring
> mistake which would be fixable via  a follow-up?  Or should I simply
> wait for a "feedback" request if that were  the case?

Submit the second port and include a note that it depends on a port you
recently submitted.  Cite the PR number and point out that the port you
are submitting should not be committed until the first port is.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/