Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 1997 00:34:20 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3C589 and only 1 slot

> Hi,
> 	I'm new to mobile FreeBSD, but it's going pretty well so far.
>
> 	HP OminBook 5700CT
> 	[PC-Card VLSI 82C146 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)]
> 	48 Meg
> 	FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE
> 	PAO-970616.tar.gz

You shouldn't need the PAO code here, although it won't hurt.

> 1) I have a 3C589C card, running with dhcpc on ep0. It seems fine,
> but LINT has (buggy) on the comment line. Would using zp be better?

No.  The 'ep' driver works reasonably well, and 'zp' is just an ugly
hack to help installation.

> 2) pccardd does not see slot 1. I always have to use slot 0, (swapping
> a Megahertz modem and the 3Com. Not a huge problem, except the machine
> seems to lock up when popping out the 3Com card. Any idea what I've done
> wrong?

There does seem to be some trouble with hotswapping the '589.  Do you
normally take the interface down before you remove it?  It's possible
that it's generating a spurious interrupt as it departs, and the
interrupt handler is spinning on a nonexistent status bit.

mike