Date:      14 Mar 2001 15:55:15 MST
From:      Tymanthius Rune Speak <tymanthius@usa.net>
To:        David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: More NATD/IPFW woes . . . ]

As you may have guessed from my earlier response, it works now.  (So why =
don't
I jump over and use my linux box to check mail?)

Anywho . . . But I *do* have natd_enable=3D"YES" in rc.config. I even hav=
natd_program=3D"/sbin/natd".

So any ideas why it doesn't start at boot?  And how I can make it?

David Preece <davep@afterswish.com> wrote:
At 09:46 14/03/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>/sbin/ipfw -f flush
>      "     add divert natd all from any to any via ed1 #ed1 is to my
INTERNAL
>net
>      "     add pass all from any to any

OK. You want to apply address translation to packets leaving the gateway =

machine and heading off onto the internet, so it's via ed0. I also have =

mine saying 'divert natd ip from' rather than 'all', couldn't tell you if=
 =

this makes any difference!

More critically (as Daryl pointed out) the natd daemon isn't running. The=
 =

address translation takes place in user space, not in the kernel. Since =

address translation typically takes place onto a low(ish) bandwidth =

connection this isn't a problem and even your 486 will barely notice over=
 - =

say - a cable modem. Anyway, this basically means that natd should appear=
 =

in your process list - and this is your biggest problem. Put this into
rc.conf:

    natd_enable=3D"YES"
    natd_interface=3D"ed0"

And rebooting the box should bring up the natd process ready to be attach=
ed =

to the external port.

One more no brainer: Have you set the gateway (default router) for the bs=
d =

box to get onto the internet? (in rc.conf: defaultrouter=3D"x.x.x.x")

Once you have it up and going you might want to think about the number of=
 =

services you have enabled. I'm really paranoid about security (due to =

basically not knowing enough) and run with as few processes as possible. =

All it takes is a few lines in rc.conf (again):

    cron_enable=3D"NO"
    inetd_enable=3D"NO"
    portmap_enable=3D"NO"

And you're away.