Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:56:53 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Kid Mamey <kidmamey2k@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with my FS

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> --bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 07:24:06AM -0700, Kid Mamey wrote:
> > I really need help related to my filesystem. During
> > startup fsck tell me that I=20
> > need to run it manually, running manually I get the
> > following output:=20
> >=20
> > ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 8775024 status=3D59 error=3D40=20
> > cannot read: BLK 2096896=20
>
> Your disk is bad.  Probably nothing you can do about it except copy
> off what remaining data you can, before it dies completely.
>
> Kris

.. Unless it is an IBM DTLA series.  In which case it will do this at will.
One "solution" is to repartition the disk so that  you use the first 29 out
of 30GB or so.  The other "solution" is to throw it in the bin and get a
different brand disk, although not many find this an acceptable option.

If you dont have an IBM DTLA, then please ignore. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter