Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:50:44
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        patrick@mip.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Network setup questions

>Thor,

Hi Patrick,

thanks for the reply.

>I did not find it necessary to use netgraph, and I am not sure what the
>differences are between ppp and pptp.  If ppp is of no use to you then
>ignore the rest of this message.

I'm not sure myself - I've only used PPP as a dialup connection from a
single client to an ISP. From what I gather, PPTP uses PPP as a sort of
tunnel over another link (like TCP), but I really have no idea (it is
clearly defined in the RFC, but it might as well be Greek to me :-)

I have setup PPP clients under several varisou OS's previously, including
FBSD.  From what I understand, I need to do something quite different now.

>I'll give a few vague hints as it is a while since I did this, and I >have
>subsequently stopped using it.
>
>I used a 4.3 box to gateway to my dial-up ISP.
>
>I did "man ppp", and played with what I learned there.  I had it >working
>pretty quickly just plugging my modem into the first serial port on >the
>box.
>I seem to recall that I used the -auto and -nat features.  This way >the
>box
>will dial automatically whenever you try to connect, and it will NAT >your
>traffic depending on what IP the ISP gives you for the session.  I >also
>ran
>ipfw for firewall, but since ppp does nat, I had no need to use natd.

I've got UserPPP working with an ISDN TA previously, but only for a single
client (i.e. not a gateway machine).

>You need to set up a ppp.conf file which has telephone numbers, login,
>password, time-out periods, etc.  The man page explains it quite >nicely.

Yep. Problem here is that there's no modem, no telephone numbers, no
multilink, no redial or timeout. Everything goes over ethernet (wireless).
That's part of the problem, I don't really see conceptually how all of this
works/fits together so I don't really know where to look to fix it.

>Finally, I set my LAN IPs in the 10.0.0.0/24 range.  The NIC on the

My home LAN is on the 192.168.128.0/24 range.

>gateway
>box was 10.0.0.1, and other PCs recorded 10.0.0.1 as their default
> >gateway.

yes, I have the same, my dual homed FBSD machine (the one I'm trying to set
up) is 192.168.128.10 and it get's it's other (outside) NIC address via DHCP
form my ISP.

>I was able to simply open IE on my windoze PC, and the BSD box would >dial
>and connect immediately.

Yep. All of this has been working for me as well, unfortunatly my ISP is
changing their setup and I don't know how to configure appropriately.

>Patrick.

Regards,
Thor