Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install clean

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Nader Turki wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> i was wondering what's the diff if i do:
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
> make all install clean
>
> or
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
> make install clean
>

> what does "all" do? 'cause i always use "make install clean" but today when
> i read the Installing XFree86 in FreeBSD handbook i noticed the "make all
> install clean".

The ports "make all" target does everything through build (make all is
therefore the same as make build) but it does not install.  The install
target does make all and make install.  So your formulations above are
(for ports) equivalent.  See man ports.

Adding the "clean" target removes what was built (the work directory
and its subcontents).  I find this formulation a puzzle, since unless
you have some variables in /etc/make.conf you want to take effect that
make the build different from the default, it's really quicker to
just install the binary with pkg_add, since you are, with the clean
target, wiping out anything that might be useful to explore in the
port's source, documentation that may not be installed, and so forth.
Of course it immediately recovers the space.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC