Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:39:54 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Forcing umask values (i.e. stopping users from making files world accessible)?

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 04:51 pm, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Wednesday, August 7, 2002, 9:00:50 PM, you wrote:
> > I suspect you are trying to go too far. If a user wants to share
> > something with another user then by golly they will email it or
> > find some way to share it. After all apparently they already have
> > ftp and http services at their disposal.
>
> I'm talking about webhosting consumers and the thing I had in mind
> was to stop them from having their scripts with passwords from being
> world readable...

If my users were embedding passwords in scripts then I'd have a fit.
Maybe that is why I jumped at the chance to resume my career outside of
I.T. and no longer have users.

If a user who is embedding a password in a script isn't smart enough to
protect it against other probing eyes then beyond a lecture there isn't
much you can do for that user other than create his/her site yourself.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net