Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:32:32 -0700
From:      Jon Mini <baka@elvis.mu.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        jos@catnook.com, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   An odd scripting language

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:56:07PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At the same time, I don't think we can ever "be safe" with some
> standard scripting language in the base system, because that
> scripting language will change over time.  And my guess is that
> any good scripting language will eventually evolve into it's own
> "OS-neutral" platform, and thus grow into a monster that we won't
> want to have in our base system.  Thus, any good, standard,
> popular, and useful scripting language is probably going to be
> a bad choice over time.  That claim should manage to irritate
> everyone else...
>
> This is an unwinnable debate, imo.

Truely.

However, I am intruiged by your assertion here. It implies that perhaps
a good direction to try would be to build a scripting language that is
tied to FreeBSD, but contains elements that makes it easy to pick up
by people who are already comfortable with the popular scripting languages.

This is an interesting concept. Fraught with problems, but nonetheless
interesting.

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.freebsd.org/