Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 13:42:40 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nethack

[moved from -newbies to -questions]

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 06:21:14PM -0400, Peter D. Pawelek wrote:
> Quoting David Wolfskill (dhw@whistle.com):
> > >Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:16:49 +1000
> > >From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
> >
> > >I just installed the _correct_ package, and yes it went flawlessly.
> > >Dunno about any hacking and slashing though. It complains about
> > >permissions somewhere but I can run it as root OK until I sort that out.
> >
> > Not too good.  "make install" (done as root) ought ot set the proper
> > permissions.
>
> My girlfriend had this problem when installing Nethack as a package
> from the CDROM. If you do a clean install (after removing the
> previously installed package, of course) via the port, the permis-
> sions should be set up properly.

I got round the permissions problem by adding myself to the games
group. If that's the normal procedure I'm not sure where it's
documented.

If it shouldn't be necessary to be in the games group to play nethack,
and if the port and the package really do set permissions differently,
maybe the package needs looking at.

Which is it?

--

Regards,