Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 13:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Eric Berenguier <Eric.Berenguier@sycomore.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with FTP install in Release 2.1.0

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Eric Berenguier wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I want to install FreeBSD Release 2.1.0 with the FTP install
> option, but when the program try to access the ftp server, i get a
> very nice dialog box saying:
>
> Couldn't open FTP connection to X.X.X.X
>
> where X.X.X.X is the IP address of the FTP server.
> And i'm taken back to the main menu.
>
> I like very much when error messages are full of details saying what the
> problem is :-)

It's exactly what it means -- it couldn't connect to that ftp server.
Did you config the ifconfig options appropriately for your location?  Do

> I've tried both the nearest FreeBSD Mirror(ftp.ibp.fr) , and a local machine
> where i had copied the whole distribution.
>
> There are no hardware problem, because i had freebsd (2.0) on this computer
> with the same configuration before.
>
> My hardware config is: 486DX2-66 ram 16Mb / 420Mb IDE HD / Two NE2000

I would try hopping over to the holographic shell on ALT-F4 and try
ftp'ing to the machine yourself.  (yes, ftp, telnet, etc. are available
there)  That should give you some insight, if anything you can see the
real error message.