Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:13:34 +0200
From:      Robert Porl <porl@lw-datentechnik.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD booting from mylex DAC960 RAID Controller

Hi,

While installing the FreeBSD 4.0 Snapshot on a System with
a MYLEX DAC960PD Controller (configured as a 3-drive
RAID5 - Array), everything worked as expected first.

But after the installation was done, i experienced
problems booting off the RAID.

I have experience with installing Linux on the same machine,
and there it worked only from LILO (The linux boot loader) version
21 and up. All Pre-21 versions didnīt know how to handle the RAID.

When I choose to install the STANDARD MBR during the setup,
the systems stops with an "Operating system not found" at startup.

When I choose to install the BootManager MBR, the system presents
me with a menu (with one entry: F1 = FreeBSD), but no matter what
key i press, it wonīt boot. It just beeps :-(((

So i would like to ask whether booting off a Mylex RAID is
possible at all with FreeBSD, or if the only solution will be
to use a floppy disk or small IDE drive for booting :)

Thanks in advance !

- Robert Porl

--

"They that give up essential liberty