Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 02:06:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Christopher Knight <merlin@ghostwheel.com>
Cc:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem booting from aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Christopher Knight wrote:
> At 08:11 PM 1/17/99 +0100, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
>
> >Please try to remove apm0 , if you have ... here it seems to solve the
> >problem (after 15 reboot no problem...)
>
> I didn't have it compiled in.  :(
>
> #
> # Laptop support (see LINT for more options)
> #
> #device         apm0    at isa? disable flags 0x31 # Advanced Power
> Management

There seems to be some interaction with APM even without apm0 compiled in.
I have a motherboard (AMI bios, about 1 year old) which works fine if APM
is disabled in the BIOS setup, but with it enabled:

- 2.2.x kernels seem to work fine.
- 3.0R boot floppy boots and installs OK
- 3.0R GENERIC kernel doesn't work
- current kernels built in the past week or so don't work.

All the above is exactly the same whether using "old" or "new" bootblocks.

The combinations that "don't work" crash at a very early stage - you get
the line printed by the loader showing the size of the kernel
code/data/etc, then absolutely nothing more - no kernel startup, device
probing or whatever.