Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 11:53:58 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I set the resolution for a new monitor?

Multiple mutilations.

On Friday, 17 May 2002 at 22:17:45 +0100, S. Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 22:17, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
>> owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG wrote on 05/17/2002 01:51:55 PM:

With those parameters, you can run up to 2048x1536.  I'm currently
doing this resolution on an IBM P260, running at 114 kHz/73 Hz.

>>> I'm running XF863.3.X.
>>>
>>> This any help?
>>
>> You need to run XF86Config (or XF86Setup), preferably
>> XF86Config. If I recall correctly it is found in /usr/X11R6/

You can also edit the XF86Config file directly.

>> You might want to consider upgrading to XFree86-4.

I'd recommend that too.  In this case, you run X -configure.

> Do I need to log off of "X" before running XF86Config?
>
> I read through various books here (Handbook, Unleashed and Complete
> FreeBSD), but could find any references that actually addressed changing
> XF86 settings after initial installation.

Complete FreeBSD, third edition, page 144 and on, notably also page
153.

> *Any* info would be appreciated here, In particular, I'm wondering about
> not messing up my configs for mouse and keyboard settings (MS Natural
> Pro Ergonomic). Its just the monitor resolution I need to set.

Nobody can really tell you that until they know more about the display
card.

> I guess what I'm actually asking, is if its possible with XF86Config
> to just reset the resolution values to those of the new monitor.

No matter what manufacturers try to tell you, monitors don't have
resolution values.  They have frequency ranges.  You probably should
read the entire chapter 10 of CFBSD.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.