Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:31:05 +0000
From:      David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp hanging problem

Hi,

Thanks for the response (it's my turn to be late replying as I've been sent
by by employer for 2 weeks to a client site with the Bastard Commute From
Hell, but I digress)...

At 18:49 12/01/99 +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Sorry for the delay....
>
>As you can see from your log, ppp reports several SendTerminateReq
>lines after the close.  If you want to make it immediate, use ``down'',
>not ``close''.  This is considered impolite :-I

Eeep.  Thanks for pointing this out - my ISP is actually quite
accommodating so I can't let myself be rude...

>Answer 1:
>
>Enabling async logging should show that we're sending traffic out and
>receiving nothing back.  If you can get a description from your ISP
>of what their ppp implementation has a problem with, I'd be happy to
>help further, but without this, my hands are tied :-(

OK, will do.  I actually thought that changing my dialup to a number with
different (not v.90) modems had fixed the problem, but it has shown
disturbing signs of relapse...

>Of course if any of the above assertions are wrong, please speak up
>and I may be able to help :)
>
>Answer 2:
>Does ``set accmap 000a0000'' help ?  If it did, that'd be one for the
>books :-)

I haven't had a chance to try this yet (but will).  However, what does this
actually mean?

I've found the following snippet on the web, but my knowledge of modems is
not exactly exhaustive.

: If your link freezes as soon as you've connected and you see
: a large number of FCS errors, this may be because your link is
: not 8 bit clean.  Make sure your modem is not using software
: flow control (XON/XOFF).  If your datalink must use
: software flow control, use the command set accmap 0x000a0000
: to tell ppp to escape the ^Q and ^S characters.

Off the top of your head, do you know of any good sources that I can use to
better educate myself on what is going on here?

Thanks for the help - I have a few things to check out now...
[I'll send a note to the list with anything concrete that comes out of this]

Dave

[My original question follows]

--
David Goddard  ~  goddard@acm.org  ~  http://freeweb.ftech.net/dmg
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps