Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:15:43 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        Khairil Yusof <kaeru@streamyx.com>
Subject:   Re: Looking for something to do?

--=-7CXApN4xBnZfsvi8Qj8Q

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 23:27, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:02:30 +0800, Khairil Yusof <kaeru@streamyx.com>=20
> wrote:
>=20
> > On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 04:42:19PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> >> Once the volumes are mounted, they will show up.  That should have
> >> worked for a long time.  However, I was trying to add the ability of
> >> putting user-mountable volumes (e.g. CD-ROM) on the desktop before the=
> >> are mounted (giving the user the option of mounting them from the
> >> desktop).  This is not working for some reason.
> >
> > Here's what I got:
> >
> > User mountable drives show up in the Computer folder, and double
> > clicking on them does try to mount the drives.
>=20
> Ahh, I never knew it was in the Computer folder, which I thought it was=20
> supposed to be on the desktop. Now, it's there in the Computer folder and=
=20
> I am able to mount it, so it works! When, I mounted it by either click=20
> right (menu) -> mount or double click, then a new CD icon will appear in=20
> the desktop just like if I mount it by the command line. But, one major=20
> problem is that I can't umount it because there's no option to do that bu=
t=20
> there has an eject option in the right click menu. The eject doesn't work=
,=20
> I get the error following:
>=20
> Failed to start command (Click on details) -> Failed to execute child=20
> process "eject" (No such file or directory)

Right, but it should unmount none-the-less.  I will fix the "eject"
problem (i.e. remove the error, but we really don't have an eject
command).

>=20
> After I clicked 'OK' from the error msg, then it will umount or the mount=
=20
> died by itself. Weird.

Right.  Linux has an eject command that will actually open the CD tray.=20
The closest we have the camcontrol command.  This, of course, only works
with SCSI CD-ROMs.

>=20
> Khairil, thanks for input about Computer folder that got me check on the=20
> CD stuff and should help Joe more. :-)

Indeed.  I had never though to check there.  It's good to know my new
VFS code works.  Now the question becomes, should I add an additional
check to see if the owner of the mount point is the current user?

Joe

>=20
> Cheers,
> Mezz
>=20
> > Apart for vfs syctl, in fstab, I had to fill in the full path to my use=
> > mounted dir.
> >
> > /dev/da1s1 /home/kaeru/mnt/camera msdos rw,noauto 0 0
> >
> > I can't however create any type of link to it on the desktop. It fails
> > with a "Unsupported Operation" on a file operation message.
--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome@FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome