Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 16:15:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/powerpc work to date

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Benno Rice wrote:

> Please feel free to review, comment, etc.
>
> The snapshot is in the form of a diff against -CURRENT and a tar.gz file
> containing new files that would need to be committed.  Both of these
> files are rooted in src/sys.

Nice! Reading through the changes, I have a couple of comments. In
mp_machdep.c, you should remove the 'include <machine/rpb.h>' - that is
only ever likely to exist on alpha. You can alsp delete ipl.h since that
has been removed for the other arches.

In swtch.s, you are correct in thinking that Idle is unneeded. A generic
assembler question - why the use of _C_LABEL(xx)? Surely since we are only
ever going to be using ELF here, we can assume the format of C names? Its
difficult to see what is happening since I'm not familiar with powerpc
assembler but it appears that you are saving the process state on the
stack (using a 'struct switchframe'). The other architectures save this
information in the PCB - I'm not sure which is the best place.

I notice that pmap.c contains a mix of programming styles with some of the
code using ANSI and some K&R. The trend seems to be to move to ANSI for
all new code so its probably worth converting the rest of the file.

How far does the beast get when booting?

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160