Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:50:23 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Checking RAM

} >> Could someone tell me how you can check the amount of RAM both available
} >> and in use at a given time on FreeBSD 2.2.6 ?
}
} >Try
}
} >dmesg | more
}
} >soon after a reboot. Should tell you how much RAM was found on the way up.
}
} Well, re-booting a production server that's been up for several months
} just to find out how much real memory the kernel saw may not be a viable
} option.  :-}  Granted, someone else suggested "top", which is fine for
} this particular resource....

Others have pointed out /var/run/dmesg.boot, which will work for what you're
looking for, but I think too many people are overlooking the usefulness
of sysctl for getting at information like this:

[503] hamilton@woodstock hamilton$ sysctl hw.physmem
hw.physmem: 65572864

--
   Jon Hamilton