Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:43:35 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com>
Cc:        "BSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tape backup recommendation

"Hank Wethington" writes:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm looking to purchase a tape backup system for my BSD3.4 box. I'd like to
> be able to back up a 18 GB drive. I've looked at TRAVAN and at DAT. Besides
> the speeds should I be worried about anything?
>
> As price is a major concern, the Travan 20 GB SCSI drives look great, but
> has anyone had any issues using these in a BSD box? Both the Seagate and HP
> drives does not say that BSD is supported (but then again, most things that
> are don't say they are). Is anyone using these? Any other recommendations?

DDS-2 has gotten quite affordable these days. Often a new good DDS-2
drive with hardware compression can be found for under $100. But that
will only do an honest 4G on a $6 tape, more if the compression works
for you.

DDS-3's are about $600 for an uncompressed 12G on $15 tape.

DDS-4's are shipping.

Another company or two appeared in the past year or so offering
tremendous capacity on inexpensive proprietary tape with an inexpensive
drive. And advertised, "the data on this 60G tape survived boiling in
water..." They didn't implement their device anything like a SCSI tape,
sorta reminded me of a WinModem. Haven't heard anything more of it in
quite a while, not that I've been listening.

When thinking about the cost of a backup system be sure to consider both
the hardware and media costs. A good rule of thumb starting point is the
price of the drive, software, and 10 tapes. Once you have a tape drive
for a few years you'll have lots more than 10 tapes.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net