Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:16:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Kernel stack size and stacking: do we have a problem ?

> 2. Do we in general want to incur the overhead of scheduling
>    in stacking layers or does increasing the kernel stack as
>    needed make more sense ?

I prefer a method where by when you call into each level, you check
enough_stack(), and if it fails, you queue the request so a worker kthread can
handle it and wakeup you up with the completion status stored in the item you
just queued.  This lets us call down directly into the stack as far as we can,
but then bail to the asynch model if we run out of stack.