Date:      Tue, 19 May 2009 14:02:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        chuckr@telenix.org
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crosscompiler and porting notes

In message: <4A12D46B.8040808@telenix.org>
            Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org> writes:
: First, for the processor OMAP3530 (the Cortex), is it possible to
: use the llvm/clang compiler?  Or, is gcc the compiler being used,
: for cross compiling?  What sources are being used?  If it's the same
: gcc in sources, then I need to know what are the flags used to build
: with (or, if it's actually in the build already, where is it, how to
: do that?

The in-tree compiler currently is gcc/binutils, which we use for all
ARM builds.  I don't know if it has the newer ARM instructions for the
OMAP3530.

: 2nd question, is there any document, set of notes, anything at all,
: to give any sort of info at all so that I might have some idea of
: what needs to be changed in the kernel sources.  I figure it's
: probably not going to be anything like a complete document, but I'm
: quite willing to try to use any level of document that might exist.
: Understand, I *don't* want some general purpose porting guide
: (something that would be used to create a bsd.port.mk-type port, I
: need this to be specific for the kernel sources.

No.  You have to read the source to get this information at the
present time.

: As far as that goes, are all the sources for the current level of
: work on the arm ports in the svn repository, or if it's somewhere
: else, where might that be?

Most of the work is in head.  However, there's some still straggling
in from the p4 //depot/projects/arm tree and I think we may have
created a base/projects/arm tree in svn as well, but I'm not sure
about that.

Warner