Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:48:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brian Woodruff <wood@freeq.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

On Saturday, 27 March 1999 at 18:09:27 -0600, Brian Woodruff wrote:
> My business partner just spent three hours trying to install 3.1 STABLE
> onto a new system, and always got "bad format" errors (or something
> similar) when we tried to load the kernel upon boot.

"something similar" isn't similar enough.  We need the exact message,
along with a lot of other information:

- What kind of system is it?
- How did you install the software?
- Was it an upgrade or a new installation?
- If it was an upgrade, what were you upgrading from?
- Did you install new boot blocks?
- Did you build your own kernel?
- What was the exact message you got (yes, this is a repeat)
- When did you get it?

> When we switched to the 3.0 CD-ROM, the system loaded and booted
> fine.  In every case, we used the "minimum" configuration. My
> partner and I have both performed dozens of successful installations
> in the past, both via net and CD. I can only assume that 3.1 STABLE
> is not suitable for release.

Based on the information, I can only assume that your installation was
not suitable for use.

> BTW, I cam currently not on this mailing list, so please reply
> privately, or tell me where I can find a web archive. Thank you.

By convention we reply both to the list and to the submitter (see the
.sig below).  Please contact me if you don't get this message.

Greg