Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:09:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Jean-Mark Dupoux <jeanm@dupx.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: error messages

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Jean-Mark Dupoux wrote:

> Is there a listing or any documentation on what error messages mean ?
>
> I get the same  message when trying to install from dos-partition or
> from floppies
>
> "write failure on transfer :  wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes".
>
> have concluded this installation will probably  not get off the ground
> now,   release 3.3 just doesnt seem to like my  hard drive, although i
> thought this was as standard as could be,  but would still be interesing
> to figure out why.

I had this problem a few weeks ago. Changed the hard disk and
everything was ok. Not special for 3.3. When that failed I tried 3.1,
of which I have the CD's. That failed as well, with different errors
(forgot what exactly, but) pointing to hard disk.

> a freeBSD failure.....

No! Hard disk failure ...

Good luck!

Marc

Marc Schneiders                 ||	In re tam justa
marc@venster.nl                 ||
marc@oldserver.demon.nl         ||	Acta SS. MM. Scillitanorum