Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 09:41:26 -0500
From:      Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   remote root access

Is there some default I can change to allow myself to log in as root via
a telnet or other type of remote session?

If I telnet to my freeBSD machine from a Windows machine from across the
room, I get "login incorrect" for the root login even though I'm sure
I've got the right password (Had no password for a while and thought
that was the problem. 'twasn't.)

I understand the rationale of having a strict default behavior but this
machine is in my apartment; I'm not too concerned about my wife or
five-week-old daughter wreaking havoc on my systems.