Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:06:39 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VoIP and IPFW

Hello,

> I'm considering testing the Vonage service, with my FreeBSD-4.10
> system (maybe 5 or 6). I wonder if anyone here has a configuration
> they can share, or if there are any pages out there that detail the
> proper (and secure) setup.

i'm using lingo (www.lingo.com) - very similar to vonage. i use freebsd
4.10 as my firewall/nat/wireless access point/etc. the lingo box in
behind freebsd box. it gets its ip (local) via dhcp and then talks to
the lingo servers (via nat). it seems both providers are using sip, so i
did not have to open anything on my nat/firewall, because the lingo box
initiates the connection from the inside. if you block outgoing
connecions from your lan then you will need to open a few ports.

one thing i noticed about the lingo box is that it gets very upset
(locks up) when it sees a lot of traffic not destined for it. i used to
have hub behind freebsd and i had problems. i replaced hub with switch
and now lingo box is very stable.

i *do not* recommend to put lingo/vonage box in front of your
firewall/router/etc. at least the lingo box is *very* open. i do not
know about vonage box, but i suspect its the same class of hardware. i
know manual suggests that you'd better put the box in front because it
will do quality-of-service thing, but it does not make any difference (imo).

i use this mostly for international calls. the quality is very good
compare to regular voice.

thanks,
max