Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:11:24 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetBSD disk backup over network

Ashley Moran wrote:
> I just saw this slashdotted article:
> http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200603/dermouse.html
>
> Just to satisfy my curiosity, is it the sort of thing that can be implemented
> as a GEOM layer?  The idea is bloody clever but sounds like a bit of a hack
> right now.

You can already do this with GEOM.

On your server node, create a sparse file using dd, that is the same
size or bigger than the partition you would like to back up.  Then set
it up with ggated.  Now, on your machine with the partition that needs
mirroring (backing up), use ggatec to connect to the backup node's
shared sparse file you previously created.  Then, use gmirror to mirror
your partition to the now local ggatec'ed device.

Eric