Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:27:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        sivkumar <sivkumar@stinfotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unable to access ftp on bsd unix

sivkumar wrote:
> sir,
>   Iam not able to access ftp on freebsd unix.Please clearify my problem as
> early as possible.

Send your messages to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.
I am not your personal assistant; I am just a FreeBSD user like you.

Note that root cannot login via ftp, as a security measure.
See /etc/ftpusers for a list of users that cannot log in.

Make sure the user that is trying to login has a shell that is
listed in /etc/shells.

Anonymous ftp is not available by default, either. Read the ftpd
man page to find out how to set up anonymous ftp.

Make sure /etc/inetd.conf has

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -d -l -l

and make sure /etc/syslog.conf has

ftp.*                                           /var/log/xferlog

and then, as root, do:

touch /var/log/xferlog
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

Then you will be able to see all your FTP connection attempts in
the file /var/log/xferlog.

Good luck.

   - Mike