Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:56:29 +0200
From:      Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>
To:        Antoine BRUNEL <antoinebrunel@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, jan6146@gmail.com, Curtis Penner <curtis.penner2@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

Dear Antoine Brunel,

I completely 100% agree. Actually I don't see the need for a new
sysinstall. It does what it needs to do. I have seen the later
RH- and SUSE-Installer, but I don't want them. What's the use of
a graphical installer?

The only thing endusers might need is the choice of installing all
required packages for a Workstation (like X, OpenOffice, KDE with
all the whistles (or GNOME if you like), Firefox, etc.). There is
a metaport for this already available (or was some time ago), but
I have never used it.

Usually installation of FreeBSD (for me) is a server installation,
so I don't need X or any of the other packages.

So from my point of view:

- if you think the default sysinstall software needs some improvements,
  go for it. Apart from fixing real bugs I don't see much need to
  change this.
- don't make a graphical sysinstall thing - at least not as default.
  it would hurt all sysadmins that install anything remotely.
  It reminds me of the oracle installer translation from text-based
  to gui-based (a nightmare if you're not in the same lan).
- if you have only one system to install, changing CDs is not a big
  deal. for current hardware, use a DVD. for mass installations,
  use fileserver installation (that's what I did, anyway).

I am more than happy with sysinstall, have used it for years (starting
with 2.2.8 actually) and don't want to see a colorful chingeling
whistleblowing hard-to-maintain suitable for all graphics card
gui installer.

If you need something like this, use PC-BSD, MacOS X or even MS Windows
or Linux, I say.

That about my useless/worthless (or maybe 2cents)  contribution

Best regards,
Holger Kipp