Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: more pppd problems (was Re: rc.serial ?)

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

>  noipdefault
>               Disables the default behaviour  when  no  local  IP
>               address  is  specified,  which  is to determine (if
>               possible) the local IP address from  the  hostname.

Okay, that makes sense.

> Maybe it's a noop here since LOCAL:REMOTE are specified but it's
> a suggested in the default ppp-on scripts of linux.

I'd follow it.

> > The MRU is also kinda odd.
> >
> > > OK-site:  PPP_FLAGS="38400 mru 1500 modem debug kdebug 0 defaultroute
> > > crtscts noipdefault asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF"
> >
> > Note that difference in MRU here ..
>
> The requested is smaller, so I see no problem or do the MRUs have to match
> exactly?

WEll, the server and client will both assert their MRU is correct and will
get in an argument over it.  I'd suggest taking the server's default.

> > > Apr 16 13:31:15 testuser-rem pppd[302]: Serial line is looped back.
> >
> > Check that your modem and cable configurations are correct.
>
> Note that this is the peer side. I got this 'Serial line is looped back'
> also on my Linux system (with an internal modem). So I doubt it's a cable
> problem. The log is from the linux user who normally can dial into other sites
> without problems.

Maybe the modem doesn't implement ATE0 correctly?  It does seem like echo
is on or that ppp isn't getting started on the remote so it sees it's own
packets echoed back on the login: prompt.
> > Pap auth is required...
>
> Isn't it by +pap? So what's wrong with this line?

Just noting.