Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:35:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New name?

> At 09:15 PM 4/13/98 +0400, Mikhail A. Sokolov wrote:
> >But won't calling products with names, which include *BSD* lead to people
> >will flounder (?) two products, the one from FreeBSD Inc., and another,
> >from BSDi?  I mean names like 'BSD Gold', 'BSD Housewife-2000 Eleet'?
>
> Not if the names indicate the purpose and positioning of the product.
> If this is done, it actually makes it easier for end users to sort
> things out.
>
> --Brett Glass

Well, having lived through and a ton of Unix names I tend to think the
positioning is more through advertising, reviews in publications
then name.

I mean what's an OS/x or DC/OSx or SunOS or Solaris say to a person looking
for an OS to run.

Xenix, Xelos, Concentrix, OS/x, DC/OSx, Ultrix, Linux -- (btw why do so many
Unix (tm) Systems have an X in the name -- is it because marketing has
a tough time figuring out a new name.  Perhaps we should be xBSD or BSD/xi
8-).

We really need to be evangelical.  How about a Unix shoot out test.
Get all the PC Unix's and get someone like Byte or Unix Review benchmark
them on equivalent hardware for speed, stability, ease of installation,
reliability.

I'm betting on FreeBSD being near or at the top.

I'm also trying to work on a couple of things we need to match Linux in the
features department. (Yeah, the Run-level stuff as a package.  The SysV
generation (myself included) would like the flexibility it supplies.

If it's optional and not installed automatically it's not bloat.  It's choice.
(Linux may be the choice of the GNU Generation -- but FreeBSD gives you the
choice of just about everything on the net).

I've got to write InfoWorld again on IP Masquerading under OS's other than
Linux.

Bill