Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:38:43 +0100
From:      jmdupx@yahoo.com
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MODEM & THE COMPLETE FREEBSD

figured I could add some input here:

hardware modems CAN have software updates too - new or newer
hardware internal or external modems often have flash
add v90 or v92 code to a chip that didn't have it before -  and
drivers get updated too, just like for virtually any kind of hardware
like  better video or soundcard drivers, so basing a decision about
a modem being hardware or winNodem just on whether it has
software upgrades may not always give you an accurate answer

the bottom line always has to be knowing which chipset is in the
card or box, assuming you can obtain that information before
committing to a purchase - if it's internal then taking it out of the
package and looking at the numbers on the card's main
semiconductor chip should be enough, otherwise looking up the
model on the maker's website should usually get the information
you need

once you know the chipset, you need to reference that information,
either on the makers'  website or on an enthusiast site, which will
probably work out quicker - one of the best sites I know  for
tracking down chipset information or driver downloads is
www.modem-help.freeserve.co.uk

I dont think  i have  found one modem yet which didnt have its
chipset listed there and the information always includes whether
the device is hardware or software. Lately there is also often
information about if there is a Linux driver, which COULD help you
get an otherwise useless winmodem running in fbsd - i dont write
drivers myself, but I can only guess adapting a Linux driver would
be a whole lot closer to success than starting off with a Windows dll
or vxd file (WITHOUT  the damn source code!)

hope this helps

Mark, J Dupoux

jmdupx@yahoo.com

<smaller>On 11 Oct 2001, at 15:56, David Johnson wrote:

> > Someone asked me how one determines whether or not one has a

> > winmodem. (Macs sometimes have the equivalent of winmodems also.)

> > Of course they don't work, but the user doesn't know for sure

> > whether it's because it's a winmodem or because ppp or whatever is

> > not properly set up--and thus doesn't know whether or not to give

> > up.

> It's getting harder and harder to know. But there are a few of rules

> of thumb:

> 1) If the modem box says it will work with DOS, then it is a component

> modem. Since few people use DOS anymore, it is becoming rare to see

> this. Note that there are a few "linmodems" out there, which are

> winmodems with Linux software. So it's still risky to trust even a

> modem that says "Linux".

> 2) Since winmodems need software, check with the manufacturer for

> software updates or fixes. If there are, then it is a winmodem. If you

> have the floppy/cd that comes with the modem, see if it actually has

> software in it, or merely configuration settings for Windows. If it is

> just configuration settings, then it is a component modem.

> 3) If you have an external modem, then you are safe. If you are

> shopping for a modem, then get an external for the extra $40. It's

> well worth it, even for Windows users.

> > I also know of no question I can ask a sales person that they have a

> > chance of answering to determine whether the modem in a laptop is a

> > "winmodem."

> If you ask a knowledgable salesperson they would know. Unfortunately,

> finding a knowledgable salesperson is as difficult as finding a

> component modem :-(

> One thing I have told people to do is to simply demand a refund or

> replacement for winmodems. It won't work everytime, but I've seen it

> work often enough, even with the big box stores like Best Buy.

> Escalate the issue up to managers and vice presidents if you have to.

> David

<nofill>