Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 17:19:42 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the crashes already mentioned.

At 09:30 AM 10/5/99 -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
>Well... the same machine had an 80 day uptime before the upgrade
>(running 3.0-RELEASE).  We have also tried alternate motherboards.
>Now... all this hardware is K6-2/400's --- it appears that substantial
>amounts of new code playing with processor bits has been introduced
>between 3.2 and 3.3

Try a different CPU.  Another K6-2 (different speed) might point out
problems with the code changes.

Check for BIOS updates and errata for the board.

Good cooling?

>I also tried cutting the memory in half.  The system had been running
>as configured for 80ish days w/o reboot.  It has 2x 128M in it, which
>I reduced to 1x 128M... if anything, it crashed faster (although I
>can't say this for sure).

Did you just pull one or pull one and later swap with the other.  Presume
you did, but just to be sure. 8-)

>The machine is running 100+ apaches that are ~88M virtual size.
>
>It's happening every 5 minutes now, it seems.  sigh.

Latest Apache I'll presume.  Only web services?  Any other machines with
similar hardware *not* running Apache?

With only half the memory compile in the needed modules, disable DSO's, and
do not use buffered logs (takes more memory), but judging by the size you
have done (or not done) this.

You could try reducing max clients temporarily and see if that helps the
problem with either 1/2 or all of the memory.

Not trying to point a finger at Apache, but have seen a few problems on web
(Apache) servers in the past that were pure hell to track down.  Otherwise
rock solid.

No panic, no core, big hassle.

luck!

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net