Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:42:10 -0500
From:      "Daniel E. Lynn" <dan@audilis.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Storing UFS snapshots externally?

Greetings all,

First, let me apologize if this has been asked before. If it has then my
search skills must be lacking because I couldn't seem to find it in the
lists anywhere.

I'm wondering if it is feasible to store snapshots for UFS on a separate
drive, and if so if there is an advisable way of doing it. The basic
idea is that I'd like to be able to mitigate any write overhead of using
a lot of snapshots by using a separate disk for them entirely. Here's
the proposed setup:

FreeBSD (/) is on ad0
Homedirs and userdata (/data) is on gm0 (ad2+ad3 mirrored)

I've been successfully using snapshots for /data, and the overhead on
this system doesn't seem too bad (yet) but if I have more than a dozen
snapshots, I get the feeling it could get messy. It'd be great if I
could store the snapshots for /data on / someplace. I just don't know if
there are any "gotchyas" that might keep me from doing this. Obviously I
could symlink the /data/.snap dir to someplace on /, but I'm a little
weary it might not be that easy. Ideas?