Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:12:32 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
Cc:        Jon Larssen <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE & VMware 3.0

Carroll, D. (Danny) wrote:
> :That's where my last attempt differed.  I had set up the hard drive as
> :SCSI, but not cd-rom.  I also heard from another poster that
> :activating
> :DMA for the cd-rom might work, but I don't understand how one would
> :activate it in FreeBSD if one can't even get past device probing...
> :anyway, that is something else.
>
> That's a smart move...  I did not know that VmWare could do this (Only
> had it 2 days)...
> The older version I played with dod not do this.
>
> As for enabling the DMA, since you can't so it in loader.conf, you can
> set it manually from the boot prompt.
> I've not reied it, but saw it a couple of days ago..
>
> When you see the OK prompt, do this->
>
> ok set hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
> ok set hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
> ok boot
>
> But to be honest, for now the Virtual SCSI stuff sounds better.

Thanks for the instructions.  I agree about simply running SCSI
emulation, but it is nice to know there is another way to do it...

> :I see.  I haven't followed much of the 4.6 discussion (to be
> :honest, I'm
> :really happy with 4.5 other than XFree86 3.x still being part of the X
> :install -- although I shouldn't complain.  I have problems
> :with 4.x, so
> :I don't even use it anyway...) - so I didn't hear anything about
> :ata/atapi problems...
>
> On that note, to those that use FBSD and VMWare a lot...  Can you tell
> me if it's worth trying X windows or am I going to be bitterly
> dissapointed?
>
> Also, does anyone bother installing the VMware tools?  At the moment I
> have two text-only machines doing some IPSEC / Racoon testing and they
> work fine without the tools.  Would I gain anything by installing them?

<snip>

I have used X a number of times in the virtual machines and really
didn't have any problems (in fact, I had less difficulty getting it to
run in VMWare than on my Thinkpad that I'm trying to figure out...).  I
was never able to get the tools installed though.  I must be honest - I
didn't try hard there, either.  It is fairly simple to do with RH Linux,
but w/ what I am testing in the VMWare console, I am really only
concerned with the terminal.

Steve