Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:53:51 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>, Jose <jm.fandino@fadesa.es>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .cshrc not being used?

+----[ Dru (genisis@istar.ca) dijo sobre "Re: .cshrc not being used?":

| On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Fernan Aguero wrote:
|
| > I made some changes to my .cshrc to add some new environment variables
| > and add new paths to PATH. Strange enough, nothing works. Seems that
| > .cshrc is not being read.
| >
| > This also happens with the root account.
| >
| > Both root and I have /bin/csh as the shell in /etc/passwd
| > Both .cshrc files are -rw-r--r--
| >
| > Any reason for this?
|
| Hi Fernan,
|
| Did you either logoff and back in or do a:
|
| source .cshrc
|
| Dru

+----]

Thanks Dru and José for your replies.

For some reason my personal ~/.cshrc is not read/used. Apparently the
one that's being used is /etc/csh.cshrc.
Strangely /etc/csh.cshrc is an empty file:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/csh.cshrc,v 1.3 1999/08/27 23:23:40 peter Exp $
#
# System-wide .cshrc file for csh(1).

However if I add something like
echo "this is /etc/csh.cshrc"
I can see that this is the file being read/used in my xterm.

Anyone know how can i get my ~/.cshrc to be read?
Is it something wrong with my setup that I need to change or can I
safely add a 'source ~/.cshrc' line to /etc/csh.cshrc?

Fernan