Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:35:13 +0100
From:      Bill Squire {billsf} <billsf@cuba.calyx.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   amd64/59483: amd64 pr

>Number:         59483
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Moused and tiff broken on amd64
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD curacao.n2it.nl 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #4: Mon Nov 17 1
3:46:43 CET 2003 root@curacao.n2it.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/C64-02 amd64

>How-To-Repeat:
        moused simply doesn't work anymore with a USB mouse, TIFF images
will not work with any application on this machine: Gimp, XV, Eye of Gnome
and probably others.
>Fix:

        Moused will not load the /dev/ums0 driver - works fine with X however.
An earlier moused will work, then there is a sysmouse, but sysmouse will not
produce X-events from the Z-axis. If not fixed soon i'll hack one, but the
developers allways write cleaner code than me. I'm not a programmer by
profession. :) There is no way known to myself how to fix tiff drivers. Some
'improvement' has aparently blocked tiff.

Overall the progress on the amd64 platform has been nothing short of
spectacular over the few weeks i've owned the amd64. Gnome works as of
last weekend's rebuild, the first real desktop on this computer. Many minor
applications and ofcourse any Mozilla based browser doesn't work because
NSPR is so screwed up. KDE doesn't work at all due to the very screwed up
'arts' which everything seems to depend on. Otherwise keep up the good work
as i have i386s, athlons and an alpha.

A Linux ABI on amd64 would be nice. (hint, hint) I have managed to create
a complete Linux development environment on an athlon based on Gentoo. The
original compile was in Linux and then integrated into FreeBSD. Almost any
Linux application can be compiled. By making some sym-links in /dev, X can
be started under Linux using ufs/ffs. As far as i'm concerened this beats
the redhat compatibility libs available in ports. In addition the latest
"Real 1" player works. I think it might be possible to port it to FreeBSD
natively by 'wrapping' the approiate Windows DLLs.

As a closing remark, IMO, amd64 is the future of the PC, Microsoft or not!

Bill

PS: My mail is not configured on the amd64, so there is probably no real
problem with that.

 To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
 Subject: Moused and tiff broken on amd64
 From: Bill Squire <billsf>