Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:26:48 -0700
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [summary] Apple intel transition (was: Re: Status of 6.0 for production systems)

On Nov 17, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2005, at 6:01 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>

>> The plan is to come out with new gear every few years so as to
>> extract
>> money from
>> the customer base.  As I already said in my first post, lots of
>> people
>> are like you -
>> perfectly happy NOT buying the latest Apple product.  Apple wants
>> money
>> from them -
>> so Apple has to shake things up.
>
> Those same people will continue to use their older Apple HW.  No
> need for them to be shook up.  You make claims but have nothing
> more than your opinion to support it.  Logic doesn't even support it.

This is pretty much the gist of it:

Ted maintains that the or a major reason for Apple to switch to Intel
was to force an extra HW upgrade cycle amongst Mac users to generate
more revenue than they would otherwise have gotten by maintaining the
PPC as their architecture for OS X / Macintosh.  He used the word
"greed" to describe this.

This ignores the fact that Apple is doing everything they possibly
can, at great expense, to make sure that the PPC Macs are fully
supported and usable after the transition.  Very few people will
upgrade their Macs sooner due to this transition and so most upgrades
will happen on the normal HW upgrade cycle that an particular Mac
user follows.  Hence there is no short term economic benefit to this
transition as no extra HW cycle will in general take place.    There
may be long term economic benefits from this decision based on
component costs, R&D costs, etc. but Ted's "greed" argument falls
flat on its face.

There will of course be some upgrades to Intel platform by typical
power-user/early adopter/tech weenie type people who are interested
in the technology itself, but not enough to set any sort of macro
trend or to have a meaningful padding of the Apple bottom line.  The
same kind of people are probably buying the Quad G5 now (I know I
want one :-) ).

Chad
most of whose Macs are built from parts from eBay and parts shops and
PC parts [total 3 Macs in the last 3 years -- personal and business
owned], though he does have 3 original purchased Macs from Apple
since 1998 [all business owned], 1 of which has been passed on to
others.  Also has built numerous x86 architecture based (mostly AMD
chips) FreeBSD boxes and one Solaris 10 box.