Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 11:11:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        bendede@startribune.com (Dave  Bender)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote root access

Not sure.  However, you shouldn't login as root from getty (login prompt).
It's alot safer to su to root.  Login as yourself, and type "su" (root is
default).  This goes for console, and telnet.  BTW, id you get a "not in
correct group to su to root", add youself to the wheel grooup.

Hope this helps :-)

> Is there some default I can change to allow myself to log in as root via
> a telnet or other type of remote session?
>
> If I telnet to my freeBSD machine from a Windows machine from across the
> room, I get "login incorrect" for the root login even though I'm sure
> I've got the right password (Had no password for a while and thought
> that was the problem. 'twasn't.)
>
> I understand the rationale of having a strict default behavior but this
> machine is in my apartment; I'm not too concerned about my wife or
> five-week-old daughter wreaking havoc on my systems.

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.