Date:      Sat, 09 Jan 1999 14:11:28 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pci video card suggestions?

"Larry S. Marso" wrote:

> I'm looking for a trouble-free PCI video card for about $100.
>
> I have a Trident Providea 9685 4MB card, which just won't work higher than
> -bpp 8 with XFree86.
>
> The XFree86 docs speak at length about what cards are compatible, etc., but
> nowhere are, e.g., three very well regarded cards recommended.
>
> P.S. I don't play Quake.  I'd like enough onboard memory to be able to run
> at 1024x768 at 16 or 32 bpp, with good responsiveness.  Relatively modest
> goals.

I would recommend ATI cards. I've had 2, a Graphics Xpression and
currently an Xpert@Work. The All-in-Wonder seems to be a very good card
and IIRC you can make it's TV stuff work under FreeBSD :-).

ATI cards are the only ones I've had that have worked at the max
resolution of my monitor (1024x768x70Hz) at their max colour depth
straight out of the box under all OS's (Win{3.x,95}, NT{3.51,4},
FreeBSD,  & OS/2).

HTH

> Thank you for any ideas.
>
> Best regards
> --
> Larry S. Marso
> larry@marso.com

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com