Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:43:33 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   native glide for freebsd

Hope to be able to gather material for a nice summary so I can send it
back to the developer . Please don't bombard the developer for I am
sure that some of you can guess who it is.

	Regards,
	Amancio

> The rush support is a different matter due to the glide library being only a
> linux library
> and typically we run the X installation as native binaries .

I expect I'll release source to the X server part. Since none of that is
3Dfx specific (it just allows me to lock down memory on the card) it
shouldn't be a problem.

> We really need the linux glide library compiled for FreeBSD if you are
> interested
> in doing it just drop me a note. As you noticed we have quite a few Voodoo
> fans 8)

I've heard a bunch of people ask, and I haven't decided what to do about
it. I'm trying to avoid thinking about it until I get this current crop
of drivers out (VG, Rush, V2).

I could easily do it. I have plenty of disk space and the port shouldn't
be hard. 3Dfx would have to OK it. They don't want to release ports that
they feel like they don't have the resources to support properly.

Another question is whether or not this is a good thing. It would let
*BSD users program for Glide and Mesa which would be good. In an ideal
world that would be all that was involved and we'd all be happy.

But, I'm concerned about the limited resources of the comercial
developers. I think it could be bad if it caused more pressure on
developers like Id or Crack.Com to support *BSD versions of their
programs. They may decide it isn't worth the hassle of supporting any
free Unix, because of the grief they'll get from the others that aren't
supported.

Take Id for example. Zoid is releasing the Quake2 server for *BSD. You
know he must be hearing from *BSD users that they want the client side
as well. Quake2 isn't very playable on X only. So, gee if Glide is
available people will want him to port that as well. Is the effort of
the developer worth the market share for *BSD. Most of them don't think
it is worth the market share for Linux or we'd have more choices there.

I'm open to other opinions. This opinion is definetly one sided. :-)