Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:28:17 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compat 5x libraries missnig after restart

Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:25:39 -0600
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu> wrote:
>

>>Doug Barton wrote:
>>
>>>Add the following to /etc/rc.conf.local:
>>>
>>>compat5x_enable=yes
>>>
>>>And it would probably help if you watched the messages printed to
>>>the console as the system boots.
>>
>>And you should also have read the message that came when you
>>installed the port - you know, the one that immediately scrolled off
>>the top of the screen.  And you should also have checked
>>ports/UPDATING - oops, scratch that last piece of advice.
>>
>>Seriously, I consider my self lucky, not superior, that I caught this
>>change and didn't face the same problems as the OP.
>

> You mean you've read those mails with [HEADS-UP] pre-pended to
> subj. line ?

The only "HEADS-UP" message I saw was "Proposed patch to update
misc/compat5x to rc.d-style boot script".  This message had neither a
"HEADS-UP" prepended to it, nor did the content have any explicit
meantion of compat-xx_enable="YES".

>>I hope you guys fix this "feature" before RELEASE-6.1, otherwise the
>>mailing lists are going to be full of this issue.
>
> There's nothing to fix and yes, it's a feature (which will be probably
> referenced in the release notes).

Having it referenced in the release notes is going to help.

But why not put
compat_xx_enable="YES"

in /etc/defaults/rc.conf?

Also, how about explaining this in pkg_descr as well?

I do agree with many posters that it is somewhat counterintuitive to
need to put something in /etc/rc.conf in order to get these compatxx
ports to work.  (And personally don't see a reason for it - why would
anyone install these ports if they didn't intend for them to be
enabled.)  I can see why those very much immersed in FreeBSD think this
is a good idea (perhaps for consistencies sake).  But I also think that
the way it is now, it is going to trip up a lot of the more naive
FreeBSD users.  At the very least it needs to be documented in as many
places as possible.

Stephen