Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:57:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Tinka <aknit444@yahoo.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Upgrade With Mod_PHP

after u install PHP4, u need to tell apache about it..
mostly, u will need to edit httpd.conf and add the
lines:

    AddType application/php4script .php
    Action application/php4script /cgi-bin/php

the reason u was advocating for u to compile PHP from
source is so that u can create an executable php file
from the make command, which u will copy into your
/cgi-bin/ directory... this php file has most of the
compile-time options that u enabled, allowing those
options to be run at CGI speed.. it's for improved
performance really..

after this, u will need to edit your
/usr/local/lib/php.ini as instructed by
Squirrelmail....

the modules, such as /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.so should
be installed automatically.. i am not sure whether the
ports do this, but the src compilaton does... u might
need to check.. as this module is necessary...

the --with-apxs option tells PHP to compile into
Apache as an extension module... so, once the
application types have been specified in the
httpd.conf [although new versions of Apache have them
already] all u need to do is run your webmail, or any
.php file, and Apache will parse it using PHP4.. and
present back to your browser..

good luck...

AKNIT