Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 97 00:17:05 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Alexander Litvin" <archer@lucky.net>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Giving up syncing disks

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:44:42 +0200, Alexander Litvin wrote:

>Hi, everybody!
>
>On one of our boxes -- 2.2.5-STABLE, running squid web cache,
>I observed such a thing: after "shutdown -h", it tries to
>sync disks, and gives up, unable to do it. Consiquently,
>when coming up it is forced to fsck, which is quite long,
>because cache is located at 4G slice. It should be mentioned
>that this big slice is mounted async and noatime (which proved
>to make a drastic speed improvement).
>
>What can I do to prevent such unclean shutdowns?

	Are you closing any applications that may be accessing that file
system cleanly before you do the shutdown?  You might want to try doing
that if you're not, and see if that improves your situation.  By closing
cleanly I mean using the program's options to terminate it, or a simple
kill <pid> (not kill -9).

Good luck,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***