Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:38:13 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xntpd server for MS-Win clients?

>Yes.  Me.  I run NetLab under NT as my time coordinator.  And xntpd on my
>FreeBSD box.  If you want netlab, you can find it at
>http://members.tripod.com/~adanil/ but it does more than just time sync.
>Guess it may not be exactly what you want.  Best of all, it's
>FreeWare.

>What time clients have you tried?

I've tried AtomTime98 and GroovyTime. Both give me a "Host not responding"
error.
I'll check out Netlab and see if it's for me.

>Also, see my site for details on my set up and how it works.

Your site was one of my first stops, as usual. It's an invaluable reference
source (and I like the new look!). Keep up the good work...

As a aside, let me say that as a newbie coming from the Windows world, I'm
very impressed at the *completeness* of Unix software. When installing new
software, or building a new kernel, etc., what seems at first to be daunting
task turns out to be a peice of cake, with few errors along the way. And
utilities and daemons seem to do just what you'd expect, often with no
tweaking to their configs. A far cry from the Microsoft world. I shudder to
think what would happen if one tried to compile a Win98 kernel from sources!

Anyway, from your site, it seemed that the only configuration you needed for
xntpd was where to find an external time source, and that it would
automatically act as a time server for my internal net. Is this the case?

Xntpd's documentation has me completely confused on this issue (They use the
term 'server' too much and don't make a clear distinction between when
you're actually the 'servee' getting time from another source and when
you're a 'server' for another 'servee'. I get the sense that they'd really
be happy if everyone was just a 'peer'.)

Anyway, now that I've a good night's sleep, maybe this will all look clearer
to me. I'll try some other Windoze client software, and see what's up.

Thanks for your help,

--Dan