Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:35:29 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        "Dimitri T." <midios4@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: F i l e s e r v e r ?

"Dimitri T." wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Well, the day before yesterday I sent a question and got no feedback at
> all.. Now, before I end my life drinking the conium I'll give it one last
> shot. Here's what puzzles me:
>
> I've set up an NIS-NFS server and a couple of clients to go with it.
> Now it seems like a good idea to install any packages (or other apps
> like staroffice for example) on the server and allow the clients to use them
> remotely.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion as to what is the best way to do this?
> Should I export and mount on the clients the whole server:/usr?
> I mean /usr is BIG, is there perhaps some better way?
>
> waiting (hopeless?)
> Dimitri

Suggestion: create a directory, install the software in that directory,
mount that directory via NFS to the same location on all machines, and
supply it's location to the user(s) path(s) who require the software.
Example:
Server: export /server

Client X: /server -> server:/server, PATH=$PATH:/server/bin

You might want to even look at some sort of service like AMD, or share
all the homedirs over NFS as well.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com