Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:26:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      IAccounts <iaccounts@northnetworks.ca>
To:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mail problem

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Brian Henning wrote:

> > On 2003-03-06 10:51, Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > i am able to perform the following command fine when i want to send
> > > mail on the local network.
> > >
> > > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" henninb@localhost
> > >
> > > is there a flag that i can pass to mail to tell it to use the proper
> > > server for when i want to perform this operation to an address
> > > outside my local network?
> > >
> > > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" b1henning@hotmail.com
> >
> > Have you checked your /var/log/maillog file?  Any hints there?
> >
> > When you say that you are unable to use mail(1), do you mean that you
> > get the message returned to your local mailbox?  If yes, what is the
> > precise error that the failed delivery contains?
> >
> > - Giorgos
> >

> ... while talking to mail.navitaire.com.:
> <<< 553 5.1.8 <henninb@trinity.the-matrix.net>... Domain of sender address henni
> nb@trinity.the-matrix.net does not exist
>

> the error seems to point to the domain name of my internal network... is there a
> way to change this such that the  server will accept my emial?

In the DNS zone file for error domain, there is an MX record pointing to
your localhost. If you are not sending mail from the machine DNS is
running on, it will surely fail. I don't believe this is related to this
specific issue though.

I am assuming that trinity is a host in the the-matrix.net domain. If this
is the case, you need to create an A record in your DNS for this host. If
you can't do that, try putting the FQDN inside of /etc/hosts with it's ip.
This should be done on the box that sendmail is running on.

Steve