Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:22:20 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Uwe Laverenz <uwe.laverenz@difi.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.x to current not possible?

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:59:03 +0100, Uwe Laverenz wrote:

> I have a complete CVS tree of the BSD sources on my machine and would
> like to install -current on a spare 3.x machine for testing purposes.
> But it seems that upgrading a 3.x machine via source is not possible at
> this time? I wasn't able to build a snap on my 3.4 machine either.

We're on the threshold of being able to upgrade 3.x machines to CURRENT
properly, although the CURRENT ``world'' has been broken a lot in the
last few days.

I must admit, I thought we'd already got to the stage where you could
fairly easily upgrade from legacy systems.  How long ago did you try
with CURRENT sources?  If more than a day ago, you might very well want
to try again?

Perhaps you'd like to post the actual error messages you get when
you try to upgrade to CURRENT?  If so, please post them to the
freebsd-current mailing list.

Ciao,
Sheldon.