Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:53:52 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way Off Topic: Bookmarks

On 10/11/01 08:38 PM, Mark Drayton sat at the `puter and typed:
> what ever (thursday@sdf.lonestar.org) wrote:
> > I'm wondering what people are doing to manage their bookmarks. In my
> > home office, I find myself switching between Netscrape on my Windows
> > machine, and between Konqueror & Netscrape on my FreeBSD machine. I
> > mostly use the FreeBSD machine for surfing, but my NN/Win instance had
> > the biggest bookmarks file (years of surfing on that platform before I
> > found the *nix light).
>
> I have a web page on my server with all my commonly used bookmarks. I
> store all the bookmarks in an XML file (easier to edit) which is then
> turned into HTML by a CGI script.
>
> I also have a bookmark in IE that adds the current page to an HTML
> document using a couple of Javascript functions (to get the current URL
> and page title). Perhaps one day I'll change this to add the site to my
> bookmarks.xml file... If anyone is interested I'll post the script and
> Javascript to add the URLs tomorrow when I get to work.

Of course.  Even if I can't set it up now, It'd be nice to save for a
future project.  I'm not sure what I'd prefer to do, but it seems a
bookmark to a javascript tool might be a cool way to do that.  From a
page you want to bookmark, just select the bookmark to the javascript,
and it can grab the page you're on and dump it into the script.

The javascript must just feed the last visited url to the cgi script,
which can then fetch the title.  From there, perl can dump it into an
xml or html page pretty easily, just leave a commented tag where the
next one has to be inserted, or even sort it, categorize it, whatever.
The whole thing could actually live on the server.

I'm gettin pretty interested in these ideas :)

Cheers
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

In order to dial out, it is necessary to broaden one's dimension.