Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 01:23:48 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Irwan Hadi" <irwanhadi@phxby.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ground Station

There's a 6th sense that you have to develop that you need to have
in order to cross the line from a server that has 98% reliability
to one that has 99.99999999999% reliability.

I've built several servers using both FreeBSD and Solaris that
I've felt crossed that line, and that I would be willing to trust
to breath for me during an operation, or something like that.
But, I've built many more that I've always had that little flicker of
mistrust about.

Frankly, I belive that it would be quite possible to build a ground station
running on an old Sun Sparc that would have more reliability than a ground
station
running FreeBSD on new hardware.  The capability of creating a highly
reliable server has less to do with the platform and OS used and more
to do with the skill and experience of the builder, and how much testing
they put it through.

My advice if you want to build a highly reliable ground station is that it
needs to
be completed and online at least 6 months, preferably a year, before your
satellite is launched.  It also needs many hundreds hours of simulation
and testing to prove it out.  Perhaps you should concentrate on not only
building a ground station but building a second server that's principle goal
is
to simulate the sattellite that the ground station is supposed to be
controlling.
Then plug them in to each other and program the fake satellite server to
throw everything it's got to the ground station to try to blow it up.