Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:00:35 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Entombing for FreeBSD

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 01:38:27PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     *But* ( don't you hate buts? ) ... the right place to put this sort of
>     feature is not in libc, but as a filesystem layer.  Of course, that
>     brings up the argument 'well, wouldn't it be better to have at least some
>     form of entombing vs nothing at all?'....  The answer to that is not
>     necessarily yes.  I think that messing around with libc in this manner
>     is just too much of a hack and not appropriate for a commit.

This solution works on lots of architectures.  A VFS layer is
specifically for FreeBSD.  Perhaps that is the correct place to put
it in FreeBSD.  This solution was originally written to run on
many flavors of UNIX.  Including SunOS, NeXTStep, FreeBSD, Linux,
and even Dynix.

It's flexible.  I wish the entire world ran FreeBSD, but it doesn't.
Andy and I can't even get our entire world to run FreeBSD.  We've got
Irix, SunOS, TitanOS, AIX, NeXT, and Linux to deal with.  Can I get
the source to write VFS layers for all of those as well?

(It's fun to argue about *BUTS* <grin>)

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn, Computer Systems Engineer         <csg@physics.purdue.edu>
Physics Computer Network, Purdue University